Window not listed

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Hi, this is really great program but unfortunately i can't get it to select all windows.

I am trying to select a window, which acts as a plug-in of another program. It is not listed so i can't select it. I even tried this:
OnTopReplica.exe --windowTitle='plug-in title' -v
but it didn't work. Is there any other way i could try to get this work?
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM
OnTopReplica tries to mimic the ALT+TAB behavior of Windows itself, so if you have a window which is shown by ALT+TAB but not visible by OnTopReplica, you found a bug. Please let me know which application you are trying to clone.

If the window is not visible by ALT+TAB as well, using the command line parameters if the way to go. Try using double quotes in the parameters and drop the "-v" which might not be necessary:
OnTopReplica.exe --windowTitle="plug-in title"
Also, you can try using partial title strings ("plug-in", "plug", etc... depends on the actual title - OnTopReplica matches the start of the title if no complete match is possible).

You can also search by "window class" (an internal identifier that Windows uses to identify window types). You'll need to download the UISpy application (it's an official development app by Microsoft). You will be able to select the window you want to clone (use the CTRL button) and get its properties, especially the "ClassName" property. Use it as follows:
OnTopReplica.exe --windowClass="WinRarWindow"
(The command line option above clones any WinRAR window open at the moment.

Hope this helps, let me know. :)
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Starting OnTopReplica from cmd with windowTitle parameter didn't work for me. I haven't tried it with windowClass parameter because i found relatively primitive solution :)

Focusing the window and pressing shortcut key ctrl+shift+c did the t trick for me. I tried it on my plug-in and even on Firefox About window and it worked. I don't know what this shortcut does in your code but it works.

Keep up the great work.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
bugmenot2 wrote:
Focusing the window and pressing shortcut key ctrl+shift+c did the t trick for me. I tried it on my plug-in and even on Firefox About window and it worked. I don't know what this shortcut does in your code but it works.
Great! Glad that worked out for you. Hadn't tought of that option... :)

Just as a future reference, I forgot to mention that if you have a way to detect the "window handle" of the window you are attempting to clone, you can just set the handle via command line:
OnTopReplica.exe --windowId=HANDLE
Unfortunately finding out the handle of a window also requires an external program like UISpy.

Cheers!