OnTop of games? Full screen problem

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:58 AM
I'm not being able to use OnTop Replica on top of full screen games. The game goes completely on top of the window.

I am able to use it with StartCraft II, because there is are 3 options: windowed, full screen and full screen (windowed). The last one is 100% full screen but the program can put other windows on top of it.

But is it possible to do that on games that doesn't have this option?
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Hello douglasrac,
the issue with fullscreen applications is that they completely take over the on-screen rendering and bypass the desktop window manager. OnTopReplica is a standard desktop window and thus cannot be visualized anymore when a fullscreen game starts.

The only way to do that would be using a DirectX hook that renders on top of the game (like Scraps and similar applications), but that would require much more work (and window cloning might not work at all when a fullscreen DirectX application is rendering, as far as I know).

I think your only option to use OnTopReplica with a game is to run the game in windowed mode. Most games offer windowed modes, as far as I know: you usually should be able to resize them to match your screen resolution (or close).
Hope this helps.
Apr 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Thank you so much for the reply.

I figure out a way to solve this issue. As I said, in SC2 is possible because they offer a fullscreen (windowed) mode. The other game I was trying to do this is Cities in Motion 2. I just have to launch the game with the parameter: -popupwindow. That makes it completely fullscreen and OnTop Replica works perfectly.

I guess most games offer something like that. If not directly on the menu, at least with exe parameters.

Your software is great!