Tabbed Thumbnails

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I usually use OnTopReplica to watch videos on web browser, and they all support for tabs nowadays. I am wondering how to just select a specified tab of the browser, and then I can switch to other tabs without opening another browser instance.

I have looked into this case. Win7 provides API for tabbed thumbnails. I can see all the thumbnails of tabs by Aero Peek. But it seems to be difficult to get the handle of these thumbnails.

Is this possible?

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Unfortunately only top level windows can be set as thumbnail source using the Windows DWM API. Internet Explorer (and all the other browsers, I'm assuming) create hidden top-level windows that render the single tabs and register those, but there is no API I'm aware of to retrieve that list of windows, unfortunately.

There is a hack to get the tabs for Internet Explorer only, but it is not guaranteed to work. In fact, it is an implementation detail of that particular version of IE and could change anytime.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9235681/how-do-i-display-open-ie-tabs-as-dwm-thumbnails

I'm afraid there is no safe/guaranteed way to achieve what you suggest. :(